Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Requesting Articles through Interlibrary Loan or MyILL
Sometimes the article you are seeking is not available through Brookens Library. In that case, you can request to receive the article from another institution by requesting it through Interlibrary loan. There are a few avenues for doing this. One avenue, if you have all of the citation information, is to go to the library home page: click on My Accounts. Then click on MyILL Upon logging in for the first time, you will need to fill out your profile information. Then, under the New Request menu to the left, choose 'Article' and fill as much information as you have available about the article you are seeking. There are a few fields that are required. These are indicated by an asterisk*. Then submit your request.
Alternatively, perhaps you have found your article by using the article or advanced searching features on the Brookens Library homepage. If this is the case, you will be taken to a record of the item which will provide information on whether Bookens Library holds the article and, if not, will provide a link to request the article through Interlibrary Loan, if that is an options. Please watch the video for further guidance.
Requesting Books via My ILL
If the book you need is not in the I-Share Catalog or within driving distance, you may request the book via InterLibrary Loan, or My ILL. Be sure to include in the NOTES field the fact that you are an online only student. This is a critical piece of information that will alert Brookens Library staff to the fact that the item will need to be mailed to you. Brookens will mail the item to you free of charge. However, you will be responsible for the cost of shipping it back to the library.
Requesting Books from I-Share Libraries
As a UIS student, you have access to over 85 Illinois University/College libraries through the consortium to which Brookens Library belongs. These libraries are I-Share libraries, and visiting or requesting materials from these libraries requires your UIS i-card, which serves as your library card. Please contact the UIS ID Center and request an i-card be sent to you or to have your library borrowing number given to you. Once you have your i-card or your library borrowing number, please call Brookens Library to be entered into the system. This is required to check out and request books.
- This service is intended for distance learning students only. Students who regularly attend classes on-campus, live in the Springfield area, or are within an hour's driving distance of the campus are expected to retrieve items from the library in person.
- Allow at least one (1) week for delivery; holidays and weekends may add extra time.
- We reserve the right to limit the number of materials provided to an individual and to prioritize requests processed.
- Borrowers are responsible for all loaned materials from the time the item leaves the library. Brookens Library does not assess overdue fines for materials in the general collection. If the item is not returned or renewed, at sixty (60) days past due a bill is generated consisting of a replacement charge for each item and a non-waivable $10.00 processing fee.
- Photocopies will be sent via electronic delivery.
- Photocopies of specific journal articles (not entire issues) will be provided.
- Books held by UIS will be mailed to the patron's home address. Non-circulating items will not be sent.
- Items may be renewed via your web account in the Online Catalog by clicking the "My Account" link on the left hand side of the search screen.
- Circulating items are loaned for a guaranteed 2 weeks and then can be recalled by another user.
- Books that are held by other libraries will either be mailed to the patron's address or an arrangement will be made for delivery to the nearest I-Share library for pickup.
I-Share Requests: Items held by other I-Share libraries. They are requested via the I-Share Online Catalog by the ILL staff on behalf of the patron. Fill out a Loan Request form found in My ILL under Quick Links.
Interlibrary Loan: Items borrowed from non-I-Share libraries. Fill out a Loan Request form found in My ILL under Quick Links or request the item through Quick Search under Quick Links.
- Patrons are responsible for returning items to Brookens Library. A return mailing label is included with the book(s), but return postage is the responsibility of the patron.